logo

I spend a lot of time working in different places/coffee shops/random places/etc, so it becomes a normal habit to connect to VPN. After VPN is connected, I usually verify the IP address to make sure that I am indeed connected to my private network. Checking what network provider those coffee shops uses also turns out to be an interesting expedition.

And all the ip checking services I googled looked terrible. So “can’t bear it anymore”+”i think i can build this” resulted in the early version of this frontend.

I am a strong believer of D.R.Y. mostly because I am pretty lazy. I am glad to find a free IP Geolocation Library which returns JSON. All I need to do is throw in some front-end. Well, since I was not a designer of any kind and almost never coded any front-end before, I used Bootstrap for templating. That was pretty much it for the original project, basically using python print to pretty print out JSON response from the API provider and wrap it into a <pre> block inside Bootstrap to make it looks nice.

I played around with the Mapbox for a while last week and thought it will be fun to try using a map. But I like the simplicity of the original design and probably wouldn’t have added a map if not for a meet-up I missed earlier this week: Cross-Device Responsive Web Development with Tomomi Imura. I highly recommend Tomomi Imura( @girlie_mac )’s slides here. Tomomi’s slides taught me media query in css3 which allowed me to only include the map in the desktop but kept the simplest version in the mobile version.

After removing pretty.css and pretty.js and replaced the styling of text with 紅(kurenai) from Nippon Colors (which I really like btw), I published this version on Hacker News.

It was a complete surprise that it went on to the front page. It also became the top 10 trending Github of the day largely due the the huge traffic coming from HN.

I was very inspired by so many people staring the project on Github and since updated the following items:

  1. Add a logo
  2. Read The Doc Documentation
  3. Completely removed Mapbox and replaced with Google Maps
  4. Styling the google maps
  5. Select a good SVG map marker

It turned out I blew past the Mapbox limit by a wide margin - 56.3k map views, this forced me to switch to Google API v3, which doesn’t seem to require an API key.

Re-styling Google Map was the challenging part. Mapbox was my first choice because I really liked the color selection. But it turned out not to be that difficult to do with Google Maps. I used this tool Google Maps Colorizr to do the map tile styling. The effect turns out to be much much better than I expected.

The default map marker looks terrible. A brief look at the API documentation only mentions png file as a replacement marker. But through some guess work and googling I found out SVG files works as well! XD. Thanks to the piece designed by Kelly Walker at the Noun Project.

That’s pretty much the engineering story behind this simple front end.

I was confident to tag it 1.0 on Github and please enjoy.


UPDATE (11/26/2013) Faster implementation using AJAX: ##iplook.co



comments powered by Disqus